Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mt. Sinai

After about 10 days in Egypt we started heading back across the Sinai. We drove South along the coast of the Red Sea and then inland towards Mt. Sinai where we stayed the night. At 2:00 AM we started hiking Mt. Sinai. I was going to take a camel like David recommended, but I wanted to get there early so I could see the stars while laying at the top. So I booked it up there and was one of the first to arrive. We were told to think of this as a pilgrimage and not just some hiking experience. It turned out to be a pretty neat experience. The sunrise was spectacular and I hiked along some rocks (for mom's sake I won't call them cliffs) and found a secluded spot to read some scriptures. We had a testimony meeting on the mountain and I bore my testimony about the blessing of having living prophets today, like President Monson, who can lead us in our own journey. ...and thank goodness our journey isn't to wander around the wilderness for 40 years!!! The girl in the picture is Aubrey and she was my hiking partner for a little bit. The last picture is of Pres. Brown (director of JC) and some of the faculty. This was the place where the Israelites fought Amalek and Moses raised his arms so that they would win. I never realized until now that this is a type of the Savior. Notice that if forms them shape of a cross, representing Christ as the Savior.

2 comments:

Aubrie Hopper said...

I know that girl you have your arm around! She was in my Shakepeare class. I do believe her name is Aubrey. How funny!

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

Wow! What amazing experiences you are having. Be safe and keep the pictures coming. Love ya.
Tonya