Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pyramids and Nile

Last week we traveled across Southern Israel and across the Sinai and into Cairo. It was awesome! It was a long drive, but well worth it! Cairo is huge. We went to the pyramids first thing. They were pretty big and I was excited that I was able to go in one since I didn't expect it going into the trip. About 1/4 of the tourists in Egypt are from Spain so it was fun talking with them. If you're wondering about the gash on my forehead when i'm in front of the sphinx, it is my battle wound from running into a tree the night before. Like Father (In Czech Republic) like son (In Egypt). Almost all of Egypt's population lives within a few miles of the Nile on either side. The Nile valley is relatively green and full of palm trees and plants, although everything is pretty dusty. The green stops instantly and then it is wavy Sahara desert sand dunes. One of the highlights in Cairo was going to church on Friday (sabbath in Egypt is Friday). We had a special meeting with just the BYU students and the Cairo branch presidency. It was a moving experience and a memorable one for sure. The last picture shows the Nile with some camels in the background, some of the students are actually the ones riding the camels. I took the picture from one the Nile. I got to ride on the Nile in a sail boat way far away from the shore! Ahoy! (I hope you got that) It was incredible! We got stopped by the river police but no biggy.


No comments: